Coordinator of New Student Programs
University College at Southern Illinois University Carbondale invites applications and nominations for the position of Coordinator of New Student Programs. This is a full-time, 12 month, term appointment, with reappointment contingent on job performance and available funding. This Administrative/Professional position reports to the Director of New Student Programs.
Position Description: Co-facilitate and implement various aspects of New Student Programs which includes, but not limited to, New Student Orientation, Saluki Startup, Weeks of Welcome, Saluki Family Association and retention programs.
- Oversee and coordinate the marketing, recruitment, selection, and training of student leaders which includes but is not limited to Orientation Leaders (orientation staff), Saluki Startup Leaders (transition staff), Student Coordinators and other key student staff positions.
- Co-facilitate and implement various aspects of the Saluki Startup and Weeks of Welcome (WOW) program and events.
- Manage and maintain databases related to New Student Programs.
- Assist with aspects of the Saluki Family Association including but not limited to newsletters, handbook, website, family orientation, Saluki Family Weekend and other related Programs.
- Oversee and management of the New Student Alternative Orientation Program.
- Work with university-wide communities, departments and advisory groups on issues related to transition and retention programs and all other areas in New Student Programs.
- Assist with the supervision of graduate assistants, student workers, Interns, and practicum staff.
- Represent the University on community, regional, and national organizations.
- Master's Degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education, Student Development, Counseling, or related areas.
- Prior experience in professional and/or para-professional involvement in higher education and student development, retention, or persistence programs in one or more of the following areas: new student programs, new student orientation programs, new student recruitment, high school and/or community college outreach, enrollment management, family/parent programs, first-year experience programs, student leadership training, development programs, transitional programs, and/or student advising/mentoring programs.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present detailed studies and reports, and to prepare and deliver oral presentations.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- 2-3 years of professional experience in Higher Education or related areas.
- Organizational and Management skills including program/training planning, evaluation, assessment and/or problem solving.
- Experience in supervising staff.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Experience using social media to engage incoming and current student populations.
- Ability to build cooperative working relationships with a wide range of campus, community and business partners.
- Motivated, high energy person who is committed team player with excellent leadership capabilities and solid ability to train and develop student leaders.
Anticipated Date of Appointment: May 16, 2017.
Application Deadline: Applications must be received in the Office of University College by close of business (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, March 24, 2017.
Application Procedure: Please submit a cover letter detailing experience related to all minimum qualifications; a detailed resume outlining related work experience; and the names, telephone numbers, and postal and email addresses for three (3) professional references to:
Coordinator of New Student Programs Screening Committee
c/o University College, Mail Code 4525
Student Services 375
1263 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed
and encouraged and
will receive consideration.